255 lives Trick
This little trick is harder than the game itself, but worth it if you pull it off. On your last man, make sure a warrior fires at you just as Sinistar sucks you in. As the Sinistar sucks you in, you will lose your last man, but when the warrior's bullet hits you, you will have one less than zero ships. Note: The warriors stop shooting as soon as you are 'caught' by Sinistar. The game was programmed this way, to prevent you from dying twice. Since you are trying to die twice, you have to let a warrior shoot at you, before you get sucked in, then hope that the shot hits you after you have been sucked in. This is very tricky.
[Note: 8-bit processors can only handle values from 0-255, for a total of 256 values. Therefore, "one less than zero ships" will roll around to 255.]
(Posted to Usenet news by Ken Bloch and can be found on Williams Arcade Classics CD-ROM. The filename is RETSAE.GGE and it is located under the Sinistar folder. )
Finally, I would like to re-submit the Sinistar Easter Egg instructions, painstakingly assembled by Jeff Vavasour.
1. Set the game to Pricing Mode 3. (Credits have to register. If it's in free play, it won't work.
2. Set the game to one ship per game. (Not needed, but it makes it quicker to pull off since you have to go through two games without doing much of anything.)
3. Put in one quarter. (The game shows "1 Credit.")
4. Start a 1-player game.
5. Bump into an asteroid.
6. Press the fire button seven times. (How many times you press and release the button is what counts, not how many shots come out.)
7. Don't bump into another asteroid or shoot again, just get shot and end the game. If you do shoot or hit something, go back to step 5.
8. With NO CREDITS, press the 2-Player button three times.
9. Put in another quarter. (1 Credit now.)
10. Start a new 1-player game.
11. Press the Sinibomb button once, even though you have none. (Don't touch anything or shoot!)
12. There are two Easter egg messages, one a more complete version of the other. Step 13 says how to trigger the more complete one, step 14 is the simpler one.
For the "Crossword" Easter egg:
13a. Deposit three quarters.
13b. Press Sinibomb again.
For the "Williams" Easter egg:
14a. End the game without hitting or shooting. (Just get shot.)
14b. Press 1-Player WITHOUT ANY CREDITS.
* * *
Two more words of advice: don't let the attract mode cycle between
- Jeff Vavasour
Add these lines to the cheat.dat file in the MAME top level directory:
How do you use these cheats? Simply put them, one code per
For in-depth information on the cheat system, be sure to read
I don't know enough about the MAME cheats, but I would think that it is some type of ROM location change. I would imagine that you could perform these by writing something to a EPROM, and plugging it in, but I am not comfortable enough trying that yet.
Arcade's Greatest Hits: Williams Collection
GameShark Codes : Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits Volume 1 - DC
Sinistar Unleashed cheat codes.
(press ~ for the console, then just type them in followed by enter):
cheatfreecrystal - Crystals
Supposedly, Sinistar was the first game to use stereo. The link to the source of this information is dead, so I removed it.